Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Apartment hunting in Beijing!

Today was the day that we met with the real estate agent and started looking at apartments. Our appointment to meet with Sam was scheduled at 10, so we had a leisurely morning and ate breakfast at the hotel. One thing that throws me for a loop every single time is that they have hot dogs at breakfast!! I ate my normal meal of 2 pieces of toast (with butter and strawberry jam), bacon, a fried egg, a slice of hot dog, and a glass (or two) of orange juice. After we finished breakfast we went back to our rooms and finished preparing for the day. At 9:50 we started walking to the Andingmen subway station to meet with Sam, our real estate agent. 
  The first apartment we saw was off of Line 5 (I don't remember the exact station), so it was very convenient for both of our schools; however, it smelled and looked dirty and also didn't have a swimming pool or a gym (which were pretty much dealbreakers for us). Onward and upward, we didn't let that experience deter us from continuing to look. The second apartment was off of Lishuiqiao South (which is the station just north of the one I get off of to walk to work), and just like the first it smelled and looked dirty. The landlord at this location (each apartment is privately owned by different people) wouldn't even negotiate when we asked for the walls to be painted and newer furniture to be brought in. When we heard that (thank goodness for Sam who acted as our translator!), we said next and moved on to the next location. Finally, we saw apartment #3 (also at Lishuiqiao South). Walking through the gated community, Miranda and I looked around and noticed that the grounds were clean, there were stores, restaurants, etc. around, and the buildings looked well-kept. Finally, the four of us (Miranda, Sam, the landlady, and I) walked up to the second floor of building #4. Even the door of the apartment we were looking at looked nice, so we walked in and were automatically taken aback. Dark hardwood floors, 2 pretty nice sized bedrooms, 1 bathroom, matching leather furniture in the living room with a flat screen tv perched on top of beige cabinetry. The tenants hadn't quite moved out yet, so I couldn't take pictures, but when we move in, I definitely will have to post some. However, before signing the contract and putting down a deposit, we walked outside the gated community and entered the clubhouse (pool, gym, sauna, yoga and spinning classes). The pool and gym pretty much sold us on the fact that this was the apartment we were going to take. When the tour of the gym was over, we walked back to our unit, signed the lease agreement, and paid RMB1300 as a deposit. Rent is paid quarterly here, so I'll end up paying 3 months at a time. I can see pros and cons to that arrangement. 
    After signing the contract, the four of us walked back to Lishuiqiao South station and said goodbye to Sam and the landlord. I'm really excited for this apartment! :) Miranda and I rode the subway back to the hotel to relax a little (Skype with family or rest our feet) before we walked around Andingmen (in a different direction this time - west, I think) to find something to eat. Walking further down the street, we found a restaurant/tea house in which the waitress (fuwuyuan) spoke decent English. We dined on lamb, sweet and sour pork, steamed broccoli with garlic, and steamed rice. One day Miranda and I will learn to come to agreement on one main dish and share it, but by the time we got our food my stomach was rumbling so I ate almost my entire meal. Lunch was only RMB113, so it was very cheap. After lunch, we went north (window shopping mostly) until we ran into my former Senior Teacher Ryan (because he's moving to Miranda's school) and his fiance' Nina. It was such a small world feeling to see someone I knew while traipsing around west Andingmen. Stores and food vendors abound. :) 
   We walked around for awhile before walking into a couple of stores (me to buy a bigger purse - as if I needed any more purses and for Miranda to buy a belt). We found a grocery store (Wu Mart) and bought chopsticks before we came back to the hotel for the evening. All in all we spent about 4 hours walking around Andingmen. Now it's 9:15, so I'm going to bed because 1) my battery is about to die and I need to charge my computer and 2)I have to report to my school tomorrow for training so I need to be bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. 


Much love from this side of the world! 
Chantelle 

No comments:

Post a Comment