Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Wow, I'm tired!!!

Yesterday, Wednesday, August 31st, was my second Chinese lesson at the EF centre in Guomao, and I'm starting to think that I'm picking up bits and phrases that will be useful. After lessons, Valentina and I walked around Guomao with another EF teacher from our lessons and found a Starbucks, a 7-11 (yes, they have them here too - minus the ICEE machine), and a Jenny Lou's. We walked into Jenny Lou's and I seriously thought I was in heaven. They had proper cheese, cereals that looked like they would belong in a American supermarket, and even tampons (wow, I didn't think you could get them here, but apparently if you need them, this is the only place that carries them!!) Finally, after traipsing around Guomao a little longer, Valentina and I hopped on the subway and went to Beixingqiao. 
   After that, Laura, Miles, Valentina, and I met up at a western restaurant in Beixingqiao called Grandma's Kitchen. The waiting staff spoke basic English, so that was a refreshing moment. We all ordered different things, and while we ate talked about what we had planned to do that day. Laura has this deck of flashcards that tell you about everything in Beijing, so Miles and I looked through it and thought that maybe we could go see the Drum and Bell Tower. Some of my pictures are below! I could only walk up to the Drum Tower because by the time I got up there my knees ached - when you see the pictures, you'll understand... But once we got up there, there was an amazing drum performance waiting for us. It only lasted about 5 minutes, but it was the best I'd ever heard. Valentina and I compared it to Drumline, the movie. 


Here are some pictures from the Drum Tower performance!! It was really awesome! :) 


   
After we finished at the Drum and Bell Towers, we went to a cafe' on a nearby street to rest our feet and to refresh our parched bodies. Miles ordered us a couple drinks (lemonade, tea) each, and we stayed there about half an hour before we walked back to the subway station and came home. Once I got home I took a nap for a couple of hours before waking up at 7:30 pm to start preparing for the night out. Wednesday nights are quiz nights at our local Irish Pub, Paddy O'Shea's. Valentina, Miranda (my roomie), and I met at the Lishuiqiao South subway station at 8:30 to trek our way to the pub. We got out of the Dongzhimen subway station and started walking in what we thought was the right direction. Alas, it was not, and we had to ask several people, including a police officer, which direction to go. We were almost on the right path when it started to sprinkle, but by the time we arrived at our location it has started to downpour and we showed up like little drowned rats! :( We had a couple of beers, I'm not much of a drinker, before heading up to Luga's Mexican restaurant. There we met up with some other people and socialized until about 2 am. I couldn't believe that I had stayed out that late, but with friends, it didn't really matter. Once we dispersed, and in the pouring rain - think torrential downpour at this point, Valentina, Miranda, and I hailed a taxi for only a 45 kuai trip. By the time we got home, we were cold, wet, and really tired. A good night in the books, and a tired Chantelle went to bed feeling like I had accomplished something. :) I don't know what today, Sept. 1st, holds in store for me, but I hope I can see more of the city and maybe find a bookstore (or two!)... 


Much love from this side of the world! 

No comments:

Post a Comment